results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

Low Ballers!

Okay, I am wondering if this happens to anyone else here?
My Rates are Clearly Posted on My Profile, and even are Shown in the Gig Inquiry.
In spite of this, I still get people wanting to haggle over my Price!
My Rates are Extremely Competitive with those who are Less Experienced than myself, and I have over 40 Years Experience Designing and Creating the Multiple Balloon Figures that I make!
Most of my Competitors are not even 40 Years Old!
Why do people do that?
It gets extremely annoying and insulting when someone insinuates that I am not worth what I charge, when my Rates are Very Budget Friendly!
I have countless Repeat Clients, who compliment me on how much better I am, than my Competitors.
Occupations (1)
States
0 Kudos
4 responses

Re: Low Ballers!

@IdahoBalloonGuy I get the same. For my two cents, these people are just looking to haggle and save a buck. I wouldn't see it as anyone not acknowledging your value or skill. It takes all kinds, ya know?

0 Kudos

I understand that many people want to save money, who doesn't?
What I don't understand is that these same people are Full of Compliments, because all anyone has to do is look at the Pictures of my Balloon Figures to see the difference.
My Rate is Extremely Competitive, and in most cases, the same as those who are Less Experienced.
When it comes to my Magic Shows, my Rates are Drastically Lower than others on Thumbtack, without having to compromise Quality Entertainment.
0 Kudos
JohnnyG123
Level 5

When you're offering a high quality service or product that stands head and shoulders above the rest of the market, you're going to get asked often to offer your high quality product at low quality prices - it's human nature (although an ugly side of human nature if you ask me).

If you're busy, then this is assurance that you actually ARE a high quality play. If you're not busy, it may be an indicator that you're overpriced.

I once had a woman get angry at me and lecture me about how overpriced I was. The irony is, she pretty much confirmed (through yelling at me), that she loved my work and that she simply couldn't afford it. There are much nicer ways to say that, but message received.

Not everyone is your client. In fact, most Thumbtack customers are not my client. lol. I wish Thumbtack would do something about this, but they insist on encouraging race-to-the-bottom sort of market conditions as opposed to carving out space for the true pros and helping them establish HIGHER pricing in their markets, not lower. Instead, it has become an easy point of entry for the least qualified 'pros' to undercut the truly skilled professionals.

smcclos
Level 4

I know we for the most part cannot see what the customers are seeing on price.  I have for the most part been firm with my pricing.  One thing that has helped me and my customers is that I have been using the tool to add a travel surcharge.  I don't feel I'm loosing money traveling to a customer that is farther, and the customer knows up front how much my costs will be.  If they don't like it, they can not select me.

My work is with computer repairs, so many times, I need to hear the customer and their problems to fine tune my prices.  Mabye if you tailor the show for what the customer wants, meaning getting paid less, equates to less work for you. Of course that only comes into play if they ask for a better price.  If they are willing to pay, or feel my service is a great deal, why change their perception.

0 Kudos