Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Our 2018 Small Business Friendliness Survey is here!

Check out the results and see what grade your city and state received!

Congrats to the cities with the highest scores:

• Fort Worth, TX
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Columbus, OH
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Nashville, TN

And congrats to the states with the highest scores:

• South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Alaska
  • Michigan
  • Utah

Reply to this thread if you're from one of these places! And let us know what you think.

What has your experience been running a small business in your city or state?

2 responses
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Re: Our 2018 Small Business Friendliness Survey is here!

I am not surprised that my state made the top of the list. Utah is SUCH a great place to be a small business owner. The economy is booming here, so many great and diverse people are moving in, and there is such a strong sense of community. @Shanaio1130 and @JpaintsUtah what are your thoughts on owning a business in Utah?

I think we're pretty lucky - I mean, LOOK AT THIS PLACE?

IMG_8347.JPG

0 Kudos
ErrorUnknown
Level 5

Re: Our 2018 Small Business Friendliness Survey is here!

I find studies like this to be very interesting. it's always nice to hear what other people think about things you've experienced. That said drawing conclusions from these sorts of studies can be a double-edged sword.

I am in Phoenix Arizona. Given a C+ for starting a business in the study. Phoenix, and the state of Arizona, are quite possibly the easiest places to start a business. Especially if you're a sole proprietor. No storefront... No retail to customers you didn't pay sales tax on... No W2 employees... 1099 is fine... You can start a service business today with absolutely no paperwork from the government. Nothing.

No business license. No tax license. No fees. No BS. There are some industries that require licenses of course. But in Arizona there are far fewer than most states.
Even as a business with a storefront you simply need to get the tax license. Which is super easy to get. I have heard horror stories from States back East, California, where it's virtually impossible to get started. Fees left and right. thousands of dollars coming out before you can even make a buck. Arizona is the exact opposite.

admittedly it took me a couple of years to actually feel 100% comfortable with the information I just shared. So maybe that's what people are concerned about. It is very difficult to get a straight answer from any of the State of Arizona websites regarding owning your own business. But if you do enough research you can confirm everything I said.
0 Kudos