Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

Prom season/minors posting requests

It's prom season again, and like every year, I see many requests coming through for photography and videography that are prom-related. The issue is that many of these 'customers' are minors, and therefore cannot legally enter into a binding contract (we can go out and do the job, and they are under no legal obligation to pay us for it.)

As well, Thumbtack does not allow minors to post requests, according to their rules. However that fact has not staunched the flow of these requests, none of which have been reviewed by Thumbtack to verify the customers are of age.

What is Thumbtack doing to ensure that only those of legal age can post requests
here, and how do they propose to protect us as professionals in cases like these?
Occupations (1)
States
3 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Prom season/minors posting requests

@needsmorecoffee as you've mentioned, job postings by a minor are not allowed on Thumbtack and if those contacts come to you they will be eligible for a refund. We've done our best to develop a system that will prevent/catch these as they come in, however, it can be tricky to stop them all. We've seen instances where kids may use their parent's account, but also seen that parents may post the job on the minor's behalf.

If you do end up being contacted by a customer who is a minor and then charged please let us know by disputing the contact.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your response. However, Thumbtack does not refund in these cases in my experience. They generally operate on the can-you-prove-it mentality, and without a birth certificate, there really is no way to prove it. The best option would be for you not to allow these types of requests at all.

I think it's highly unlikely that these minors are hacking into their parents Thumbtack accounts to post the requests. That's a bit ridiculous. There is simply no screening process on Thumbtack's behalf, and that is what is distressing to me. Thumbtack appears to be violating its own rules by allowing these requests to go through. A very simple solution would be to ask for proof of age when a person submits a request for these types of events. You require all of us to upload copies of our ID s as TT professionals; why not require the same for a category like proms and formals where you know that the majority of the people posting the request are minors?
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@needsmorecoffee while there does need to be some evidence of the customer being a minor, in most of these instances, we’ll check the messaging between the customer and the pro for certain signals and the job details. If a customer disputes that they are not a minor we will take the needed action to come to a resolution. I'd be happy to take a second look at things if you have any contacts that you're unsure about feel free to send me a direct message.

As for your suggestion for Thumbtack to require proof of age when a customer uses the site, I've made sure to pass along your feedback.

0 Kudos