Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
topic id 5305: Website Design Pricing
topic id 3937: Unhappy with thumbtack
Highlighted

Remote Computer Repair

When I started with Thumbtack it was just a few jobs a month for me, local repairs around Indianapolis. I’ve been a Thumbtack pro for about 4 years and have received 106 reviews (4.8 avg) out of 157 hires. I consider myself a high-quality technician and work very hard for my clients.

I began to transition to a remote computer repair format last year, and my launch coincided with the launch of the instant match system. For the first couple of months business boomed, but over the last 5-6 months or it has come down to a trickle of instant matches and even fewer actual jobs.

Even though I mark myself clearly as a remote repair tech, a large portion of the instant matches I pay for end up being folks looking for a local repair tech. Another large portion of the matches are people who never respond in any way.  Maybe 30% of the instant matches are both a real person and also looking for a remote technician. I am not happy about this, but am doing my best to roll with it.

However, a few days ago I got a message from TT saying I’ve been listed in search results or something, I dunno. What interested more was the example listing they showed which presented my pricing against like 8 other techs. I HAD NO IDEA!

I am competing against $15 computer repairs, $20 repairs?! I was always a reasonably priced tech, maybe even on the cheaper side, but I have a well thought out pricing structure that works. I can’t compete against pricing like that, and who could run a business like that anyway?

I saved a screenshot of the listing and researched the insanely cheap competition. I traced one to a call center in Lima Peru, and traced another to India but couldn’t prove it’s a call center. Several other weren’t listed anywhere online except for thumbtack (I have 150 other reviews sprinkled around the web, not just on TT)

Doesn’t thumbtack advertise as a service that connects you with local pros? I just checked thumbtack.com and its right at the top of the page. I feel this is very disingenuous on the part of TT. While I myself am no longer a ‘local pro’ in the strictest sense, I started that way, and I am definitely a freelance pro based in the US, not some overseas call center.

I think this is not only disingenuous to thumbtacks customers, but I’ve heard absolute horror stories from my clients about some of the ‘computer repair mills’. I bet those poor people will never use thumbtack again. $15 is just a sucker price.

Are there any other US based techs who’ve had a similar experience? I’m open to any input, am trying to find some perspective about the over all situation.

0 Kudos
8 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Remote Computer Repair

@jasongarrison thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on these things with us. First I wanted to congratulate you on seeing so much success on and off of Thumbtack. The amount of hires and reviews you have on Thumbtack is definitely something to be proud of. 

In regards to the jobs that you've been seeing recently, I found that on your Services page under Advanced Settings that "Suggest jobs related to my services" was on. I turned that off for you and it should help you to see jobs closer to your preferences. It may also feel like your seeing fewer jobs because now you're only notified of customers responding to your pricing and information. Instead of like before where you saw every new job that was created decided whether to quote on it.

As for your concern with other pros and much lower pricing. If you truly feel that your pricing is fair compared to the rest of the market, I don't think you'll have much to worry about with the very high standing you currently have on Thumbtack. Sure people will be looking for cheaper prices, but there are also those people who will feel more comfortable paying a bit more for a higher quality experience, which is what you offer and have proof of. You can learn more about the new Search Results experience HERE. If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask them. 

0 Kudos

Sunday night stacking

I've gotten a total of 6 requests for computer repair over the first 6 days of last week, only two of them were legitimate requests (I am used to this 30% ratio).

No requests all day friday, none on Saturday, not aallll day Sunday- until about 9pm eastern. (I close at 9pm eastern)

Then suddenly between 9pm and 1am I get 3 instant matches for remote computer repair. All 3 of those requests should have gone to a local tech - one was a liquid spill, another was a dead laptop screen, and the last was also a hardware replacement.)

So these requests came late after i close, on a Sunday evening, and none of them were looking for a remote repair. I am dubious that all 3 of those people would make the same mistake on thumbtack (remote repair), and that all 3 were looking for hardware replacements in the middle of the night on a Sunday.

This is not the first time this has happened, I have noticed this pattern over the last couple of months.

End result? After a very slow week on TT, my bill jumps by a full 50%, in the middle of the night, and in the last few hours before they charge for the week.

Coincidence?

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

Re: Sunday night stacking

@jasongarrison I'd like to see if I can help clear things up here. The first thing I noticed is that on your account there currently there is no distinction between remote computer repair and regular computer repair. Are you looking specifically to get only remote repairs? If so then you'll want to turn off the other two options for travel HERE

As for more contacts coming in for you specifically late on Sundays. I took a look at your contact history for the past month and found that yes while you have had some contacts come in on Sunday there hasn't been any irregularity and that you've been getting a consistent amount of contacts throughout the workweek from Monday to Sunday. The most frequent days that you've seen contacts have been on both Fridays and Saturdays, which is normal across the site as customers usually submit more jobs around the weekends. 

0 Kudos

Kameron, why did you move my new post into the comments for this old post? I am looking for feedback from other pros, not more excuses from TT reps.

Seems like a good way to bury my new post.

Kameron, my new post had the same title 'Sunday night stacking' but had entirely new content. Please restore my post.

0 Kudos

@Meckell

Any response to what Ive written above?

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Hey @jasongarrison if you look above here, you'll see Kameron's response regarding your concern. He looked into your account and gave you all the right info regarding these concerns. If you have any further questions about this, please let us know! 

0 Kudos

@Meckell@Kameron

Why was this post about sunday night stacked up charges moved under a post about overseas competition?

0 Kudos