Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

taxes and deductibles

If I am self employed, what makes more tax sense, keeping all my receipts for deductions, or just simply filing the maximum deduction amount allowed? Is there a tipping point where one makes more sense?

Occupations (1)
States
9 responses
Highlighted
confidentmac
Level 6

Re: taxes and deductibles

I think it's worth filing Schedule C and identifying deductions. There may be a tipping point as a solopreneur in terms of income and when you might want to incorporate instead. I'm not an expert here, though. Can I can connect you with a tax professional I trust who can help you out?

Disclaimer: not a CPA either, but I think it’s worth while to pile up those receipts and try to itemize deductions or atleast see what works best at the end of the year. Find a CPA that’s an expert in your industry that can help you identify deductions you may not have thought about and make sure you are structured the best way for your situation. Also, use ReceiptBank or a similar app, it’s such a timesaver, you’ll love it!!
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Hey @ZackOfAllTrades - if the replies above were helpful, you can click the "Accept as Solution" button! 

0 Kudos
Serge
Level 6

Well, I can be wrong. But if you're filing for the maximum allowed deductions, and dont actually have done those things, that's tax fraud. As a business, you should be keeping and tracking every expense goin out, and hopefully have a good accountant who can file your deductions properly.

TALK TO AN ACCOUNTANT, or at least a bookkeeper who is a certified tax preparer. Every business situation is unique, there are significant variations in tax parameters between local, state and federal levels, and mistakes can be a HUGE problem.

chriseshar
Level 6

This is an easy answer. Your only option is actual expenses. There is no such thing as a maximum deduction for a business. There's no standard deduction for a business, and how could there be? Some businesses make $100, others make $1,000,000.

You are required to report your actual expenses on Schedule C.

You may qualify for the new 20% pass through deduction, but that won't be part of Schedule C, and it also does not permit a taxpayer to not accurately report the deductions of their business on Schedule C.

As an accountant, I recommend that you set a time weekly, daily, or monthly (depending on the volume of your business) to work on your record-keeping. You can also use the advice of an accountant or online resources to figure out what categories you should focus on. 

If you file as a corporation or multi-member business, keep in mind the same principles apply- no standard write-off exists.

0 Kudos
Kpmulkey1
Level 4

You’re probably talking about 2 different things. As for your business expenses (assuming you have such a business), you definitely need to keep those subject to a few qualifications. If you are referring to individual itemized expenses, you may be better of taking the standard deduction that went up to 24,000 or more for 2018 and beyond. If you don’t have a mortgage, this is probably the best route. However, a lot of what you are talking about has a lot of subjective possibilities which is better off being discussed with a CPA that is more familiar with your situation and can provide some qualitative input.
0 Kudos
bonnie_bill
Level 8

Tax Deductions ?

File honestly and accurately. The last thing a small business needs is to have any taxing authority on their backs. No time for that when trying to make a living. Use all the legitimate deduction you qualify for and no more to stay out of trouble. They can come back on you for years. 

Been there, done that, and got the T-Shirt.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Thanks for weighing in @bonnie_bill