Highlighted

Re: Dealing with Ghosts

Community Veteran
Best Answer

That's good to hear Meckell.

Just so there is no confusion regarding Thumbtack's refund policy I would urge Thumbtack to update their Refund FAQ page to include information concerning refund requests for ...

• Job doesn’t match my preferences
  • Questionable job
  • Customer stopped responding

I had a lengthy conversation a couple of days ago with one of your telephone support representatives by the name of Charlot. She was adamant that Thumbtack's refund policy does not permit the issuance of a refund for leads who have never responded to a Pro or for leads who have stopped responding to a Pro. 

If the Refund FAQ is updated then it will be crystal clear to Pros and Thumbtack's employees precisely when and for what reasons a Pro can legitimately request a refund.

Meckell, can you please pass this on to your Refunds department and to whoever is in charge of updating your Refunds FAQ and your terms and conditions. Please send me a PM at such time as the Refunds FAQ has been updated accordingly.

Thank you.

Regards,
Laurence.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@Lar sorry for any confusion! Charlot was correct, it's not listed in our refund policy that we will refund for leads who stopped responding. Although that's not part of our refund policy, we still want to know what pros are experiencing. We look at all the refund requests and will handle those ones case by case. I'll be sure to pass on this feedback that there is some confusion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Sorry, I totally disagree.  In my business of landscape design and installation as well as home remodeling it is nearly impossible to quote this over the internet.  So therefore we do not send a quote just our information about the company. 

@StoriesUpSTL wrote:

@Lar Are you giving the customer a quote in your initial response?  I would ask them one more question before giving them a quote.  TTs argument is going to be that you scared them away with your price.  That's why they ghosted you.  If you ask them a question to get a better understanding of the project and then they stop responding, I think you would have a better case for a refund. 

You need to see the clients location and any things that may cause additional expense for the project.  So the expectation that you can get a quote online for even a simple job like sod installation is a falicy.  One yard you have to remove the existing lawn and another you need to level and regrade it for a proper installation.   

Highlighted

Re: Respond within an hour = way more likely to hear back.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I do not agree with Thumbtacks method of billing. Why is it that Thumbtack is quick to charge the pro, although the customer NEVER responds. I have been promoted several times, yet some Clients do not respond. I get charged and I am stuck with a lead that never replies. 

Highlighted

Re: Respond within an hour = way more likely to hear back.

Community Veteran
Best Answer

The number of people complaining about ghost leads is overwhelming. I too almost never get a heartbeat out of a lead even when I am contacted by the promote on feature.

TT please stop the insanity and the constant need for your customers to waste their valuable time reporting on these boards that the ghost lead issue is real and that they are severly affected by it. If you multiplied the hourly rate of these pros times the hours they have spent here commenting, kudoing, earning meaningless badges, etc.. we could solve a lot of issues. 

TT please start explaining what you are seeing on your end. Please start offering solutions that are not aimed at saying it is all the Pro's fault. Please start talking. Say something of substance.. please.....anything .... Give us a reason to stay with you.  (and please do not start the response, if one is to be given, that "we know that this can be frustrating for you..."   we are waaaaay beyond needing that verification from you.)

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I also agree with you. One of the major things that causes these ghost customers is the fact that there's a block that says "check your availability". It should be eliminated. There's no need for the potential client to check your availability. He's either interested or is not. Why not have a block that says " contact provider"? At least it would eliminate the  ghost inquiries. Frankly, it's stupid to have the potential client check your availability. He's interested, or is not.

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
@Digitalwhims
Agreed. I made the same point in one of my posts and I'm glad to see you have the same opinion.
It should not be when am I available. The pro should be the one to ask when they would like to have the job done. TT should be getting leads not meddle in our business.
TT is giving the potential client that it's an on demand service when it is not.
Highlighted

Ghosting - No responses

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Is it just me or has 'ghosting' become the only response to quotes on thumbtack?? 
Every time I turn on 'promote' I immediately get a few queries: "....would like to know your availability" and no matter how many time I reach out: <<crickets>> 
Then I get frustrated, turn of promote and then <<crickets>> again!!
Whats going on Thumbtack?????

Highlighted

Re: Ghosting - No responses

Active Community Member
Best Answer

You're not alone MMM. It seems like an exercise in futility when I had Promotions on and would get leads that would read something like: "Joanne wants to know your availability", or "Millie G. would be interested in contacting you", etc.   And so Thumbtack would lead you to believe you hit the jackpot, saying 'you've already paid for it', But...  'YOU EARNED A 20% DISCOUNT!' (whoop de-doo), which translated means: We already billed you $4.88 (or whatever) up-front. And this is before you spend the time it takes to address the person's needs, and send them your response, etc. when it dawns on you about a week later... that you never heard from Joanne or Mille G. again!                   

It's just as if Thumbtack dug up some cadavers fresh from the cemetery to pose as prospective customers... and that 5 bucks you just spent (just to hear <<crickets>>)... goes directly into Thumbtack's wallet. I have since pulled the plug on Thumbtack promotions as I soon discovered that I was losing more money than what I was earning, and that the only party truly making a profit on the deal was... Thumbtack!

I also suspect there are even more cadavers - whenever I respond to inquiries posted under 'Jobs'. I've responded to about 20 over the past few weeks and have not received a single return response, let alone anything that would indicate that my response to their original inquiry was even read (i.e., or at least a posting that reads something like"viewed", etc).    Nothing!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

All of the aforementioned needs to be brought to Thumbtack's attention and is in desperate need of a fix, as this system set up by Thumbtack (as we now know it) is lop-sided and broken, and for this Pro, a huge waste of my time and energy that would be better spent either in production and/or advertising with someone else. 

Highlighted

Re: Ghosting - No responses

Active Community Member
Best Answer

YES! I mean... how is it that there wasn't this level of ghosting before all these horrible changes Thumbtack implemented over the last year??? Occasionally there were users who didn't respond, but it wasn't nearly as bad as this.
The best and only positive change Thumbtack implemented was when they used to refund for quotes not viewed. That was perfect, I could ignore the ghosters and concentrate on the people who were actually actively seeking pros. Of course they removed that quick!!
ZERO bookings. Losing PRO status this time. Also losing all the reviews and time I've spent building my profile here since I've actively started looking for other ways to find clients!