Highlighted

The Question of Licencing

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Within our profile is the question of Licencing Registration.  The question has a pull down that has a list of Professions that require/ or not licencing.  The Category my business falls into is "Architecture" although I am not 'Officially' an Architect,  what I am is an "Interior Architect" which is a step above an Interior Designer, in the because of my training and more than 40yrs working hands on in All Phases of Architecture,including Interior Design, I  can actually create permit worthy construction documents, relevant to the project/remodel or new.  I also have two resent College degrees that support my appellation as an Interior Architect, the first a Bachelor of Science degree, Interior Design, 2010 and a Master of Fine Arts, Interior Architecture & Design, 2015 that punctuate my previous and ongoing experience. By education, experience and folio of references, I am in fact an Architect, but I do not identify with the Appellation, nor do I call or market myself as one, as there is much about the American Institute of Architecture  I do not agree with, but that discussion is not appropriate here. 

Here in the state of Oregon, those who provide architectural services  for projects over 4,000 sq ft, do indeed require a licence to do so.  But, Anyone can design spaces under 4,000 sq/ft without a Architectural licence, per say.  However for those of us in the business of 'Architectural Design' working on projects  4-5,000 sq ft, with a Stamp of a Structural Engineer, and can produce permit worthy construction documents ( as I can) there are no licence requirements, particularly in the Counties, and City's of Oregon where I work.   I do carry professional insurance to protect my customer and my business, but that is optional as well. In addition, as the "Architectural Designer" of my projects, I am entitled to be employed by the Owner of the Project, as a Project manager ( not as a General Contractor) to insure the project conforms to the City approved Construction Documents. My firm never signs contrast, or handles owners money for these jobs.  Our interest is primarily designing spaces that we then can sell Interior Design and decor elements and materials within a very custom setting. 

The shortfall of Thumbtack in their generic 'one size fits all' Licencing question is that its does not facilitate those of us that do not fall into their licencing annotation section, in a way that does not cast shade on anyone who does not fill out that segment because they are not recognized as a professional under their limited criteria.  This is not a very supportive move in my opinion in as much as Thumbtack derives money from our patronage of the site.  

The other side of the coin is that from the way Thumbtack is set up, it appears that it takes more pains to protect the public from us, that it does to protect us from unscrupulous and dishonest customers.  Its my suggestion that any customer who is linked to us, needs to be vetted in the same manner as we are.  I have twice now, in the past have been connected to clients that arranged for services, only to be cheated of my fees, and flat lied to, once on site with them.  It would help, if there is a little more security for us as well. 

Thoughts?   I am open to comments. 

0 Likes
replies
Highlighted

Re: The Question of Licencing

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
EDITED VERSION.
TFR49_afr76
Community Newcomer
‎August 12, 2020 10:52 AM
Within our profile is the question of Licensing Registration. The question has a pull down that has a list of Professions that require/ or not licensing. The Category my business falls into is "Architecture" although I am not 'Officially' an Architect, what I am is an "Interior Architect" which is a step above an Interior Designer because of my education and training plus more than 40yrs working hands on within all Phases of Architecture, including Interior Design. Yes, I can actually create permit worthy construction documents, relevant to the project/remodel or new. I also have two resent College degrees that support my appellation as an Interior Architect, the first a Bachelor of Science degree, Interior Design, 2010 and a Master of Fine Arts, Interior Architecture & Design, 2015, that punctuate my previous and ongoing experience. Based on my education, experience and folio of references, I suppose I could be considered as an Architect, by some, but I do not identify with that Appellation in particular, nor do I call or market myself as one, as there is much about the American Institute of Architecture I do not agree with, but that discussion is not appropriate here.
Here in the state of Oregon, those who provide architectural services for projects over 4,000 sq ft, ‘Do’ indeed require a license to do so. But, anyone can design spaces under 4,000 sq/ft without a Architectural license, per say. However for those of us in the business of 'Architectural Design' working on projects 4-5,000 sq ft, can do so with the Stamp of a Structural Engineer, and can produce permit worthy construction documents ( as I can). There are no other license requirements, particularly in the Counties, and City's of Oregon where I work. I do carry professional insurance to protect my customer and my business, but that is optional as well. In addition, as the "Architectural Designer" of my projects, I am entitled to be employed by the Owner of the Project, as a Project manager ( not as a General Contractor) to insure the project conforms to the City approved Construction Documents. My firm never signs contrast, or handles owners money for these jobs. Our interest is primarily designing spaces that we then can sell Interior Design and decor elements and materials within a very custom setting.
The shortfall of Thumbtack in their generic 'one size fits all' Licensing question is that its does not facilitate those of us that do not fall into their licensing annotation section, in a way that does not cast shade on anyone who does not fill out that segment because they are not recognized as a professional under their limited criteria. This is not a very supportive move in my opinion in as much as Thumbtack derives money from our patronage of the site.
The other side of the coin is that from the way Thumbtack is set up, it appears that it takes more pains to protect the public from us, that it does to protect us from unscrupulous and dishonest customers. Its my suggestion that any customer who is linked to us, needs to be vetted in the same manner as we are. I have twice now, in the past have been connected to clients that arranged for services, only to be cheated of my fees, and flat lied to, once on site with them. It would help, if there is a little more security for us as well.
Thoughts? I am open to comments.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: The Question of Licencing

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Sorry, when I posted this, I didn't realize I would not be able to further edit it. Shortcoming of the site, and me thinking that, and not doing it in Word. See attached, its caught the spelling, and most of the grammar issues.
0 Likes