[CLOSED] WINTER CONTEST: Share your story

Options
DustiO
DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,634
edited March 1 in Inspiration

THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED

This can be a crazy time of year — from holiday preparations, to end of year wrap up and new year planning. But we still want to hear your stories! We'll randomly select one person to receive a Thumbtack branded mini cooler.

Comment below and share how you prepare your business for this season. You can share tips for wrapping up the year, stories of how you celebrate the holidays with your teams, or strategies for planning for the new year.

Be sure to "like" other pros' comments too, to show support and virtually clap for everyone's amazing work.

(Only one winner will be chosen. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. MiiR is not a sponsor of this program. All surveys and incentives are subject to Thumbtack's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.)

Comments

• Mitchell_Lawncare
    Options

We are located in South Carolina and in terms of landscaping it is one of the most difficult areas to operate it. There is no snow season and the grass is generally cut bi-weekly for most homes in our area. This limits the amount of work significantly so adaptation is pretty critical as winter literally kills landscape business here. The only way to operate has been to subtract 3 months of the calendar. We budget and spend as if the year is only 9 months so any work after that so additional income. Commercial work is also key for the winter in keeping employees busy and hire new helpers every season. After the general fall clean ups our business goes into state of hibernation where any non full time employees (foreman) either go work in retail or back to college. While the foreman will focus on caring for our vip clients 2-3 days a week and servicing equipment , but in reality it’s very relaxed and urgency is not important until March hits. Vacation is taken during this time and we focus on planning for the next year in terms of growth, cutting expenses and defining what we want to be as company.

• DustiO
    Options

@Mitchell_Lawncare just out of curiosity do landscapers in your area ever hang Christmas lights during this time? I am often tasked with finding pros who hang lights for articles and such, but it's always really hard to find them! I wondered if this is something that people in your profession ever do in the winter? Also, I LOVE that you take this slower time to relax/vacation. I used to own a baking business so this time of year was CRAZY for me, but January was always super slow so I would do the same thing!

• Mitchell_Lawncare
    Options

@DustiO Currently no we don’t and very few do that here. The main market for that service generally include side hustlers and there is a limited amount of customers able to afford it and for those two reasons make it very difficult to offer. We are definitely getting into landscape lighting so we might offer it after getting a list of customers in that area but that’s a decision for the future :)

• DustiO
    Options

Thanks for the info, @Mitchell_Lawncare! If you ever end up doing anything like that (even "holiday" landscape lighting) send me some pics and I'll see if we can get that featured during the holidays :)

• DustiO
    Options

@Mitchell_Lawncare it looks like you were our only entry this time! If you want to DM me your mailing address I will get this too you!