Can anyone help me understand Thumbtack math?

Options

I'm paying $50 per lead. My weekly budget is set at $300 per week. Yet TT is telling me I can only get get estimated 3 customers per month.

How does this make sense? Oh by the way if you see my attachment I'm "Less Competitive", yet when I look myself up I'm number 3 on the list.

Comments

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,630
    Options

I believe the estimated number of leads you can get is also based on demand in your area/category - but I will confirm this!

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 155
    Options

@Theresa The less competitive, means you aren’t going to win as many clients who see you if you aren’t willing to pay more money. Essentially you are bidding against other pros, it’s a bizarre system, but it’s what we have to work with.

• Theresa
    Theresa Posts: 48
    Options

@Matt I don't get it. I mean yes less competitive would mean less clients. But in this case I'm number 3 on the list of pros. So I'm assuming that would put me in front of more potential customers.

• Matt
    Options

@Theresa that would make sense, but that isn’t how it works with Thumbtack. The order you see is how you rank; yes, but when it comes down to a specific inquiry, if you are not “competitive “ you won’t show up ahead of others, it’s a convoluted system that is based on who is willing to spend more.

• Theresa
    Theresa Posts: 48
    Options

@matt yikes. Now I'm completely confused

• Matt
    Options

Welcome to Thumbtack! 🙃

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,630
    Options

@Matt @Theresa when you look yourself up that is where you are appearing in search results at that time (it wouldn't be different if a customer made a request, unless they selected job preferences that don't match yours). The number you are seeing @Theresa is the number of jobs based on demand in your area. That is probably why you are ranking high, but not getting as many views/leads, because demand might be low on Thumbtack in your area/industry. I was able to log in as you and try the "Look yourself up" feature and you appeared 5th — when I simply went to Thumbtack and entered "nutritionist" in your area you also showed up in that same spot. Hope this helps!