International Women's Day

Danielle_Penn
Danielle_Penn Community Leader Posts: 38

Here are some questions to think about today, on International Women's Day:

1. Tell me about your business. How did you get started? I have always loved photography and decided to intern while being an office manager for a dental office. Six months after interning, I started Danielle Penn Photography. I have been a Wedding Photographer now since 2014 and I thoroughly enjoy “capturing love stories” on a weekly basis. 
  2. When did you decide to start your own business? Was there a defining moment when you realized this was your path or calling?  As mentioned I started after interning and just knew that what I see through my camera lens, is very different than what the average person sees. I knew I was always meant to be a photographer. 
  3. What do you wish you knew when you were first starting out on your own? Trust myself more and it is okay to ask for advice. So many people will take advantage of you and one must understand that it is not okay. Learn to respect and protect yourself with agreements and contracts. 
  4. Tell us about a time when you felt like you overcame a gender stereotype in your field. I was interning for a male professional photographer and he always said that the industry was better suited for males given the heavy equipment, long hours of carrying cameras, lights, stands. I never let that turn me away from my passion of what I want to do.
  5. What are your tips for other female small business owners? I would advise anyone to understand what you take on is an important commitment. Be ready for the ups and downs of failures and success. Waking up the next day after a hard one and jumping all in is scary, however invigorating. Having a support system cheering you on is also important; whether that be family, friends, or co-workers. Trust in yourself and follow those gut instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, listen to that. There are a lot of people that will come and go...you will know which clients, and leads are meant to be. Some of my best clients turned out to be life-long clients. Those gems are worth having and working your little tush off for! 
  6. What’s the best part about being a small business owner? I love all the people that inspire me as well as those I touch on a daily basis. That connection you just can’t get anywhere else. 
  7. What’s it like being a female in your field? Have you ever felt like your gender affected you getting hired? I feel now as a female wedding photographer I have an advantage. A couple years ago it was a male dominated industry. Brides trust me to be in their dressing room and it is important for my brides to feel as comfortable as possible in-front of the camera. If they are not, it will show, and I always connect with my customers before and after an event. It is important to know both parties are comfortable with each other. 

How would you answer these questions? Feel free to comment here or post your own story! Would love to hear from other business owners.

Comments