[JOIN US] CommuniTEA: Live Community bi-weekly networking

DustiO
DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,580

If you haven't been to a CommuniTEA networking hour, you're missing out! We would love to meet you! Please join us tomorrow from 9:00-10:00am PT (10am MT, 11am CT, 12pm ET) via Zoom.

We'll do some intros and then open up for you to ask each other questions, share successes and struggles (and solutions), and meet some Thumbtack team members. This week we'll be brainstorming some ideas for upcoming AMA's in the Community — we want to know what questions or topics interest you so we can plan Ask Me Anything sessions with team members.

Join us by clicking this link. Or, RSVP here.

If you're tagged here, you've visited the Community since out last session, and we would really love to meet you tomorrow! Please join if you can!

@sandrak @_Smallbizadvocate_ @cynbeatty @Alex_Hazen @GundamSLK @Maria_Estela_Sanchez @cmarcum215 @Alicia_Santos @JasonBleecher @Theresa @CeeLilly @Pancakesplease @K84mnlee @soonerkimmy @Walt9513 @Felipe_Serna_Vasquez @Sundaymornin @JNB_Properties @Joey_Vicedo @Mage @Nicholas_Jourawleff @jonhertz @Chillrenovations89 @busyb @erinparsley @Craig_Washington_Ii @Organizer1_ @Soleil_Homes @Assaad @Amillijay @Outonalimb2021 @MusicLessons4You @MARNIE @Aaron_Hudson @AlfredAlleyn @Webb_Millsaps @AMurray @Eyal_Aharon @WDodson @STL_Shooter78 @faceinlens @Behzad_Sami @Flora2020 @tcwright404 @MoonlitMedia @Exploreeffortlessly @GoodQuestionTutoring @JRezzonico @Junkpromd @Gene @AlexPDX @Matt @ErinCruise @chilogm1 @Анатолий @JEI @ajohnson @ShaquealThomas @KurtS @MarleneNajera @LindaKay @mbrand15 @AtYourServiceSA @aapmicc @RuffTimes @Bernadette_Trinidad @joannecoates @Elena_Vit @AR2i @Daffodilly @mikemcleodmusic @Walters_Electric32 @HeartsetDesign @LocalIntellitech

Comments

• Alex_Hazen
    Alex_Hazen Posts: 14

I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow at that time that is too late to cancel. I still haven’t gotten a credit for the second bogus lead I got last week and it’s been over a week. I can’t get back on TT without this lead being refunded right now. At this point what else can I do?

• MARNIE
    MARNIE Posts: 9

DustiO, how do I email/call you? Thanks Marnie

• DustiO

@MARNIE you can message me here in the community - I don't have a TT phone number. If you want to join the CommuniTEA session, just follow the directions above in the post. Thanks!

• Please let me know when the next one will be!

• DustiO

@Exploreeffortlessly we have today's - and then 2 weeks from today at the same time. They happen every other Thursday! I will add more occurrences to the Community calendar as it looks like this is the last one, but it's not!!

• DustiO

Thank you so much to everyone who was able to join today! ICYMI, we discussed a series of AMAs (Ask Me Anything) in the Community, where we will collect your questions on various topics and get team members to answer those questions. We brainstormed what topics you all would like to see and here's what you came up with:

Thumbtack Led AMAs

• Ranking & Profile Views
    • Max Lead Pricing
    • Customer Support
    • Lead Quality
    • The Make-Up of Thumbtack (ie what teams make-up Thumbtack, and what do they do)
    • Instant Bookings & Consultations
    • Marketing at Thumbtack
    • Partnerships & Integrations
    • Payments on Thumbtack

Pro Led AMAs

• Industry Specific AMAs (ie how to build a successful plumbing business on TT)
    • How to Expand Your Business (ie add more locations or grow your team)
    • Stress & Health Coaching
    • Tax Tips for Businesses
    • Writing Tips (how to build a strong profile, and how to communicate with customers)
    • Winning Jobs & Repeat Customers
    • Photography (ie take good profile or before and after pictures)
    • Booking Customers — Contracts, deposits, and more

Ok, that was everything from my notes, let us know if there are topics I missed or other interesting topics that we could work into an AMA. Have a wonderful week, and see you all again soon!

• Alex_Hazen

Still waiting for feedback as to why I’ve gotten so many bogus leads for logo design jobs in the past 4 months. No one has contacted me and I can’t bid again until this is resolved.

• Mage
    Mage Posts: 114

So glad to attend and see some of the new ideas in store as well as the insights of fellow Pros. 😎 I am about to unhide my business (go live), and I am a little bit nervous because my main income source, music lessons, has not been as steady these days. Sometimes leads reach out, but most of them have not been committed clients as they are not ready to start. As a result, I am not feeling as confident in my ability to "sell" even though I know I am super qualified. I would be interested in hearing how some of you have overcome challenges during slow business and needing to get new customers. I am going to start by reviewing my profile and preferences. I believe that my industry is highly competitive, and I worry that I don't "stand out" enough despite qualifications, reviews, and Top Pro status. Thank you so much! 😎

• busyb
    busyb Posts: 50

Sorry I missed it today.

I was hoping to join while at a client but it didn't work out.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend @DustiO and thanks as always for all that you do to help support Thumbtack Pros!

• MARNIE

cHEERS. LOOKS RIGHT, WITH NUMBER ONE ... MARKETING FOR MORE LEADS AND USING US, RE: PROMOTION. THANKS HON.

• MARNIE

• MARNIE

HI MAGE.MARNIE HERE.MY EMAIL: MARNIEMACAULEY@GMAIL.COM ... WHAT DOES "hiding" MEAN?:) Also be happy to bat around some ideas. Warmly, MM

• Mage

Hi @MARNIE! Thank you so much. You may learn more about hiding your business at https://help.thumbtack.com/article/hide-my-business . It is super helpful when you are unable to respond right away to leads or if you’re taking a break from accepting new clients, because to succeed on Thumbtack, it’s important to respond as fast as you can! 😎

• DustiO

@Alex_Hazen So sorry I thought I responded to this!! Sending you a DM right now.

• Alex_Hazen

I'm still trying to get a $40 credit on bogus lead that happened on may 17th. Actually I received 2 and I was credited for one. When I call the Customer support numbers they are either busy or if I get through they switch you to SMS messages. Then you go around a loop. You answer questions and then they refer yo to the refund request page which I've already done. Then they continue to ask you if you're a pro or a customer.

There is no number available that I currently. ave that will put you in touch whit a real person. I cannot afford to just ay this charge in order to get leads again becasue it's one of the 50+bogus leads I've received since February.

Is there a real number you can give me where I can get results?

• busyb

@DustiO what @Alex_Hazen is describing is what I have told you both via our private conversations as well as through this forum that I have continued to experience as well. You know that I love Thumbtack so much and am a huge believer in paying for the leads but there has definitely been a significant shift in terms of customer support accepting "our word" when we tell them why we are requesting the refunds but to no avail. They aren't even looking at the message exchanges when a customer does actually respond that clearly confirms we are telling the truth. And unfortunately even when an actual human does reply to an email it is just reiterating the "we stand by our refund policy" verbiage and points us to the link explaining the refund policy which of course we already know. Or they tell us to "hide our profile" until dates open up? No, that's silly especially since that does remove us from the "open to other dates pro suggests" pool of leads. The fact that customers still don't understand that every pro they send an inquiry to is being charged for the lead and that they don't know to uncheck the default "open to other dates pro suggests" box is really unfair to those of us that are really hustling every day to win those leads. I'm probably out at least $500 in leads that never got refunded so far this year but I'm sure it's more at this point because I stopped tracking it as I am just that busy (in large part thanks to Thumbtack...thank you very much again). If an advisory board is being formed it is really important that any pros involved will be assured their voices will be heard and real action will be taken to help remedy this very real and important problem. We rely on Thumbtack but Thumbtack should want to retain pros so I would think this would be a priority. Hope this isn't coming off as abrasive or rude...you know me better than that. I just am trying to be part of the solution and not contribute to the problem.✌️

• Mage

@busyb I have an idea: keep all conversations on Thumbtack app and have no phone number available to the customer or the Pro until the customers pays or has the initial consultation? Thumbtack is/was the biggest source of leads for my business too. I need to get good leads.

• Alex_Hazen

Thanks for your comments everyone. Part of my problem is the epidemic in bogus leads. On my end it’s only the logo design category and they occur in twos often between 6-7 am pst and 6-7 pm pst. I mentioned I don’t keep a loaded debit card on file now because if their no refund policy. Since January I would now have over $800 in credits on TT, a ridiculous amount of money for me to have on hold. Im in my 70’s and live primarily in a fixed income. But this one remaining charge has not been taken off my account I’ll have to pay it in order to get myself back on the search engine. And then I’m going to have to pause my logo service category and just list myself as a graphic designer because I’m not getting any bogus leads in that area. Im pissed because I prefer doing logos as opposed to multi-page documents and other types of design work. It’s very frustrating that the tech department hasn’t found the source of this problem. Im no tech expert but it looks like it’s being generated from one individual.

• busyb

@Alex_Hazen Thumbtack can't figure out the person(s) sending the leads? @DustiO I know they have blocked a few customers when I have brought suspicious activity to their attention. Is that not possible in this situation???

• busyb

@Mage that does seem like a good solution because I do understand that having access to phone numbers does mean we can go offline and ask the customer to only communicate that way moving forward but I promise that is not what I do. I don't sleep at night as it is so risking my credibility is definitely not something I would ever do. But even if they don't provide phone numbers Thumbtack is aware that potential customers can just click on our websites in our profiles and reach us directly rather than go through the app but I have never had one person tell me that did that so I don't think customers are really thinking to do that because it doesn't cost them anything to send an inquiry through Thumbtack and they probably feel they have more power hiring through the app should there be a problem. It's so complicated but there does need to be a better solution for pros for sure.

• Mage

@Alex_Hazen I too worry that I might have to pause some of my services due to unreliable and incorrect/bogus leads. I know that other Pros have said to diversify my lead sources, but the truth is that Thumbtack has been the source of 2/3 of my leads for the last few years, and now I am struggling to get good leads. I have had to apply for grants (fingers crossed that I get at least one!) because this is seriously affecting my livelihood, but I must also be grateful for what Thumbtack has done for my business. I know that in my current situation I will have to pivot in my business. I even had care.com , a competitor of Thumbtack, contact me and ask me to sign up with them, but they charge $200 per year to be listed, and they process payments for the pros with a 16% service charge. No thanks!

@busyb yes I also try to keep my credibility. Some ways I do this are by keeping the conversations on Thumbtack and by sending a summary of our phone calls in the Thumbtack app. For example, if a lead reaches out, and I pay for the lead, but they are looking for something that is not even listed on my profile, I document that. It is a lot of work to get on the phone with customers, and I know that that is part of doing business, but it's almost like maybe Thumbtack needs to have a service that listens in on our calls, but that would be too much money I am sure! I think you are right that customers would like to hire is through the app because it appears more credible that way too. I wonder if Thumbtack could consider charging the customers to reach out to us, and maybe we split on the costs? Like the customers pay a portion of the lead, and the Pros pay the rest? I agree; it's definitely complicated! 🙊

• Mage

❓ Has anyone who is a highly qualified Pro been told by Support to reduce their prices in order to succeed on the platform?

• Alex_Hazen

Sort of...Like suggesting offering discounts, which is not the same concept but can be perceived as such. And you have to consider their market also.

Many of the people jump on-line because they perceive this site as a place to get bargain basement prices.

Also...TT offers lists prices according to location which is totally wrong. It's the project itself, and who is hiring you to do it: small business? large business? Large multi-national corporation?

No way do I do logo designs for $185! (suggested pricing) Why? Because you're not only buying a logo, you're buying the design process and long term rights to use it. 10, 15, 25 years, or like the Starbucks log, forever, lol!

Betcha whomever designed the Starbucks logo didn't ask for even a tiny percentage of the worldwide profits: they'd be richer than Jeff Bezos right now.

The other problem is that TT claims they only allow Pros with 4.5 and above ratings, but I've seen more and more Pros allowed to use this service with 4.3, 4.2 and even 3.0 ratings with terrible reviews, and offering logo services for $29, always with hidden costs attached. Someone mentioned at meeting that clients rarely look at reviews and the above mentioned is proof of that, to be sure.

Many clients will understand your pricing better once you explain some of the above. Some just don't want to spend or don't have the budget. I never answer an ad that says, this is a simple project and should take an hour to do! Makes no sense to accept it if you rate is, for example, $55/hr and you direct lead fee is $39.

Sorry for the long answer but you got me thinking about this.