Getting started

Been doing photography now many years and in the last 15 more seriously. Retired Navy and now focus on this. Doing great with family, senior, pet, event shoots but would like to know how everyone really got their foot in the door with weddings. I have shot a few smaller weddings on my own and been a second shooter for others. Really want to grow that part of my business but looking for advice to get started. Thanks!

JJ

Comments

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,610

@Danielle_Penn would be a great resource here! She is an amazing wedding photographer, and one of our Community Leaders! Danielle, do you have any advice for JJ?

• DustiO

@Noble_Canon is the photographer that started our photographer group in the Community, and he might have some advice too!

• CaptJJ
    CaptJJ Posts: 6

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from both soon!

• @CaptJJ Thanks for joining the group and connecting with us. I have been very busy with weddings from June - August. The way I got into wedding photography was definitely a process but Thumbtack can help. I offered a few engagement sessions for free in hopes of them coming back to me for their wedding. I did this because the biggest part of booking weddings is having a portfolio to show brides and grooms. Luckily you have been in the game for a while and you are able to develop a good portfolio.

So, the main things I would focus on is, landing a few engagement sessions and let them know you would love to photograph their wedding, build a portfolio that is meant for weddings, and possibly start a minimum number of hours for weddings. I know personally, in the beginning stages, that you can land smaller weddings based on your price, number of hours they need, and how many are attending the wedding.

I may not be the best person to answer your question, but I hope it helped!

• CaptJJ

Thank you Noble_Canon! I appreciate the input and it definitely helps. Great advice to start with. Thanks again!

• Danielle_Penn
    Danielle_Penn Community Leader Posts: 38

@Noble_Canon Great Advice!

@DustiO Thanks for tagging me on this, and bringing this to my attention!

@CaptJJ Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town for a couple of weeks and am just seeing this.

Piggybacking on Josh's advice, I would recommend focusing your website more on wedding images and show off those best images. Appeal to your focused clients. I always think of what I would want to see as a potential bride/groom and show that off. Start with small weddings, and build yourself, and your profiles with better and better images, and reviews. Reviews are huge! Client's want to hear what others have to say, and they will make final decisions based on what they see and read. Good luck!

• CaptJJ

Thank you all so very much @DustiO

Appreciate all the great advise...at least now I have a game plan going foward.

• DustiO

Thanks to everyone who contributed here! Would love to hear how things go for you moving forward @CaptJJ!

• Thanks @DustiO! As I get cranking on this I will be sure to let you all know how it's going!

• DustiO

Would love to get everyone's thoughts on rewards - please go answer this poll!