Negative review

Options

Are thumbtack leads able to leave us a negative review if they haven't hired us? I got a lead but don't offer the service that they were looking for. They left me a 1 star review because I dont offer that service. Why are they able to leave reviews if they are not "job confirmed" or "job completed"?

Comments

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,622
    Options

I feel this - when I was a pro I remember a negative review from a customer that I felt was completely undeserved. Unfortunately, there will always be people who are hard to please or who are quick to leave a negative review.

Customers are able to leave a review based on their experience with the pro (whether or not they decided to work with that particular pro), because the entire experience of searching for and hiring a pro is important.

You can read about how to respond to negative reviews here, it's very helpful for potential customers to see how you handle negative reviews and can actually be good for business (see this article published by a fellow pro). I crafted a thoughtful response when I got that review, professionally stating what had happened and how I handled it, and I thanked the customer for leaving the review and taking the time to learn about my business. I never saw a decline in jobs due to that review (and I think it helped people see what it would be like to work with me).

You can see our content and review policy here if you have further questions. If you feel like the review falls under any of those guidelines you can reach out to support@thumbtack.com for further assistance. Thank you!