Leads are extremely overpriced and unlicensed providers are the competitors!!

Options

I started using Thumbtack in 2016 and had wonderful success with it. I quickly became a top pro and was even asked to provide an interview for Thumbtack. Leads were priced reasonably back then.

I am a psychologist and get business from insurance panels. However, I employ other counselors who do not take insurance and needed another way to get referrals. They charge $60 per session because they are usually in the process of getting credentialed.

I stopped using Thumbtack a few years ago because the price for leads is completely outrageous! I was being charged more for a lead than the cost of a service. Even if I charged the going rate for a therapy session, $100 per session, I would still be spending more than 50% of the payment on the referral cost. For instance, I just signed back in to Thumbtack after a year and see that I have two leads waiting to be paid for from last year. Neither of them panned out for me but they charge is for over $100 for both of them. That’s bonkers!

And what’s worse is that I’m competing with unlicensed people on Thumbtack pretending to be legitimate providers. It seems it should be illegal to allow people to pretend to be legitimate mental health professionals, charge as much as a legitimate professional, and pretend to be able to offer mental health services as a provider. Thumbtack is just one suicidal client away from being sued. Many people will trust the authenticity and legitimacy of a professional coming through Thumbtack because they will think that Thumbtack has provided safety checks for these things.