Tips for working with instant Book

I will start with tip number one and as you guys have ideas reply with your tips

Tip #1. Charge a non-refundable $100 deposit.

As several of you have learned one of the least reliable jobs you can get is a instant book job. So charge a deposit.

This method will protect your initial investment in case of cancellation but because the customer has put some money into the game the odds of them canceling drop.

Feel free to add your tips by commenting below

Comments

• Tip #2. Simply do not use instant book for one time jobs. The cost for a one-time job is too big which means you will lose a significant percentage of profit margin

Instead only use instant book for reoccurring jobs you will slowly but surely get your money back over time. If you are Priced Right you should get that money back within a couple months.

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,813

@Jason_Mayes These are great tips! Can I ask what you use to charge the deposits - I think other pros would find that helpful? Also, as a cleaning professional do you have any tips for times where you've been able to convert a one-time job into a repeat job?

I would also suggest that you revisit your max lead prices often to make sure that the prices/competitiveness level you've selected make sense for you and your business. If they feel too high, I would play around with moving them down (or up if you are down low and you want to see the impact) even if just a little to see if it makes a difference for you.

@CodyRisner @AntilleanRestoration @ShaquealThomas @Bretdouglas @Jack_Marquardt @1_gold_hands @SOUNIQUE007 do you have any other suggestions?

• Yes I can… I would tell the customer that the deposit is $100… that seems to be what Thumbtack charges.

I do not try to flip one time cleans from Thumbtack into reoccurring… I choose to save the expense I dont compete for these anymore. They are too expensive, and because they are one time you cannot recoupe your costs. I target the reoccurring leads… These I can recoupe my money back on as time goes on

Regarding adjusting the max lead prices… Mine are ALWAYS set to bare minimum.

• Great ideas. Whenever we face uncertain times. Sometimes we need to change up things to make it a better reality and a Way Forward

Warm regards

Bret

• Bret couldn’t have said it better. I also didn’t think it was worth it, in the beginning; however changing my lead prices helped in alternative ways. They cost nearly the same but added more of a workload and became returning customers. More the merrier 🤙

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 162

@Jason_Mayes The thing is, there is no way to turn off instant book for jobs, so your point #2 doesnt apply? Or am I missing something? All I do are one off jobs (murals) and instant book just doesn't work at all for what I do.

• Well not turn it off per se but you can set it up so that your odds are low that you will ever get an instant book but still get direct leads

• We just treat Instant Books the same as a normal lead. If the time doesnt work with our schedule we try and get a different time set. Obviously that doesnt always work either and in that case we just eat that lead.

• For us that is exactly what the problem is if I'm not available I still have to pay Thumbtack $100 and lose a job

InstantInstant booking it's too expensive to not be a 100% guarantee

ForFor example if I was paying $100 for every sale that A salesperson of mine was getting and they came through at 20%... that salesperson would be fired

OurOur experience with instant book is they have a terrible conversion rate close to about 20%

This is why I created this thread so that we can start figuring out how to work the system better so that these jobs pay better and actually turn into real jobs