What is with the ranking algorithm lately?

First off let me start by saying I love Thumbtack and am grateful for the business it has helped me grow, but I do feel like the ranking system can be a little unfair at times.

My business usually ranks top 3 consistently in my industry in all my service areas, but 1-2 times a month we will randomly drop to 8th-11th place, and new businesses with no reviews, or businesses with lower ratings who do not have a top pro badge will rise to the top and rank above us.. This is usually followed by a significant drop in leads for the days that we are at a lower rank.

We have a 4.9 rating, over 135 jobs completed and 40 reviews. I do everything in my power to run a good business and take care of my customers and staff. Our response time on Thumbtack is 1 minute!

I assume they do this to give newer pros, and lower rated pros a chance at getting more jobs periodically throughout the month, but how is that fair to those of us that maintain extremely fast response time as well as a high rating, by actually providing great service and doing the things necessary that result in us keeping our high ratings?

Iv also noticed my competitors at the top with us, will drop significantly in rank when our ranking drops. Almost as if the top spots are being cycled. This is something Iv noticed several times.

I really hope someone can give me some insight on this..