Feeling hopeless

Personal Trainer, and I don’t know what it is, but it seems like the last 6-8 leads in the last 2 weeks, either ghost me, change their minds due to price, or decided they can’t afford to train. Of course I’m out $31 ea time! Thumbtack has made it impossible to get refunds, that frankly are wasting my money and time. They see my prices at least 3x prior to my profile, so they know how much my services are. I literally had someone send me a lead, they never opened my response, I then texted to follow up, they had no idea who I even was. So, I have to eat that cost. I feel like the costs have outweighed the benefits. I’ve never had so many problems like I’ve had within the last 6 mos. And to be told over and over again that I don’t qualify for a refund, makes me scream!! I’m very thorough from beginning to end with potential clients. Why send me a lead and never read it?? Why send me a lead, ask me how much I charge, and then tell me you can’t afford it. I’m not making money, I’m wasting money. Now I’m order to be seen in the results, Thumbtack wants me to budget $200 a week!! Seriously?? I’m against many gyms and trainers in my area, so the competition is crazy. I’m always so stressed about clients finding me in the search, since my budget can’t be that high, I have a family. I need to make money to have it. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,582

@AngelaKeshavjee thank you for posting. So sorry to hear about your experience, especially after 6 years with Thumbtack. I have sent this feedback to the product team (about the refund request process). I was a business owner and Thumbtack pro for many years before joining the Thumbtack team, and it is VERY frustrating when potential customers don't read things before reaching out (or when they aren't serious about actually booking you) - so I totally understand where you are coming from. I would suggest following up with an email to Support if a refund request is denied and see if there is anything more they can do!

• I most definitely always email and text when the potential client hasn’t opened or hasn’t responded to a lead that’s either been unopened or opened and they haven’t responded then either. Believe me, I try everything I can! Thank you!

• I’m also struggling with this issue. I understand this is how Thumbtack makes money, however, it is unfair that we have to pay for leads when our responses are never even acknowledged. I have spent an outrageous amount of money on thumbtack, and continue to stay because this is my main source of new clientele, but after 8 leads not reading my response & not replying last month, I am very frustrated. I believe the leads need to be told explicitly that we are being charged money for their inquiry, to sift out the individuals who are not serious.

• I’m in total agreement with you!! I’ve been working with Thumbtacks for 6 years, and this has been the worst! They change it so it benefits clients, not pros!

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,582

@AngelaKeshavjee @FitLitLauren just wanted to drop in and say how much I appreciate the candid conversation. I appreciate that even though this must be tremendously frustrating, you both have remained positive and solutions-oriented. I just wanted to reiterate that I have sent this feedback to our product teams and will continue to do so. I hope to continue to see both of you in the Community!

You can join us tomorrow for our bi-weekly Community networking event and maybe ask some other pros if they have any advice/best practices to share, too! And since both of you have been on the platform for so long, you probably have a lot of wisdom to share as well. You can see the even details here!