Not Happy With Max Lead Pricing

Options

I'm not liking this at all. When I started with Thumbtack a few years back leads cost around $6. Now they are up to over $30 for my type of work. Seems like Thumbtack is just trying to find out how much pain we can bear, then they will set the lead price at that level. It's getting to the point where I'm paying so much and getting maybe 1 in 10 jobs I bid on. The jobs aren't going to anyone else, the customer just doesn't take any action. I have dozens of jobs I quoted on still "pending" after months and months, all paid for by me and all the other Thumbtackers the client contacted. I certainly wouldn't mind so much paying for a job if I got the work. I hope they revisit this awful new policy.

Comments

• ttphoto
    Options

I agree this is an awful policy it reminds me of the old pay per click model. It feels like Thumbtack is just getting greedy. I hope they revisit this policy as it has me revisiting my future with Thumbtack.

• Demond_Morris
    Options

completely agree with this about the max lead, also they charge 2 to 3 pros the same lead price so someone will end up losing regardless.

• chilogm1
    Options

I finally find my people. lately i been getting 1 lead for 30 too when i use to pay 8-9-11 dollars for the same type of leads. i use to have a budget of $30 now i just get 1 lead and it's over with to a point i just close everything for the week. i have gotten 70 leads just to not get hired this is not only a way to take money from us but a way to push us away cause the sure did push me away to do door to door ads

• MissMkup
    Options

I completely feel your pain!! I joined TT in 2014 when it was just a baby and leads were 3 bucks across the board. Now, I'm up to $21. $28. I don't mind paying if I speak to a person and they decide not to hire me, but if there's no connection made, we shouldn't have to pay!

• Belinda_Breyer
    Options

At the end of the year, I'm going to analyze how much money I've spent on leads that go nowhere, the customer doesn't respond, the job remains "pending," and all the time I waste bidding on Opportunities where the customer doesn't even bother to read my message. I do wish Thumbtack would do more to prompt customers to read messages sent through the Opportunities funnel. These opportunities match my preferences, so I'm extremely qualified to do the work. I'm going to take a hard look at out how much money I'm paying v. how much I'm earning through the site. I also wish I could find out how many jobs I'm missing out on because my max lead price isn't high enough. Come on guys, a little transparency please!!!

• Jrimas
    Jrimas Posts: 2
    Options

I hear you Belinda, I too am not getting any. Why do I have to set my own pricing. What does the Top Pro section mean now anyway if we have to set our own Pricing. I try calling and get no answers. All is done online now it seems. I joined in 2008 bid was $6.00 now I see it is higher. I don't understand these changes.

• DeeDee
    Options

I am new to this site & I agree with most of the complaints about paying for leads & not getting the job. I do not think that the clients realize that if they do a direct lead to 6 different pros. They all get charged... I fill you should make sure the client understands this. I pay for direct leads & when I follow up later, they tell me that they found someone else. I do not think it is right that we have to pay for that if we do not get the job, because they changed their mind. And why do I have to set a higher price level to be more compatible?

• Belinda_Breyer
    Options

Hey Dee Dee, I've asked Thumbtack repeatedly to make it more clear to customers that we pay for leads. I've brought the issue up with several clients and told them how much I had to pay to answer their request, and they all claimed they didn't know that we had to pay. I mention the fact that we have to pay on my profile so I'm trying to raise some awareness that way. There are other freelance sites that you pay when you get the job, but they are not ideal either. You can always request a refund from Thumbtack.

I have to say I didn't mind paying for leads back when they were $6, because I got enough jobs to cover the expense. Now about 25% of what I earn from Thumbtack is going to pay for exorbitant fees.

• DeeDee
    Options

Yes, I explained this to a potential client & she was so mad at me for telling her that we get charged for a direct lead. All she was doing was asking questions. Which she should have been able to see the answers on my profile. But she said she couldn't see any of my pricing. I received another direct lead from a lady in AZ.. I live in Houston, TX... I have not received any leads or Opportunities in about a week now. My husband said that his has slowed way down as well. He used to get almost 2 a day..

• Jrimas
    Options

Dee Dee and Belinda,

I hear you and wish Thumbtack looked at our concerns, but I don't think they do because I see no responses from them on this topic. I have 87 reviews and am Top Pro. Yes, I agree that the customers should at least get back to us stating they have found someone else. This bidding war is ridiculous.! I also have my ranger preference and if I open up my mileage range, they give me folks in areas I don't even cover. Living in Minneapolis and I am in a suburb of Minneapolis. Most of the addresses say Minneapolis instead of what my preferences are for the suburbs. Now, I had a Maple Grove area I cover, there was a lead, and I did not get notified! Why do we have to have these ranges. There are folks who don't know about animals as I do, and I am not even a vet. I am sure there are vet techs doing pet sitting on the side. I pay attention to the animal's demeanor, body language showing signs of illnesses by experience of my own animals that I have had for 40 years in the state of Minnesota. I have even boarded and saved some lives, plus give suggestions to their parents about issues I see happening. I pay attention. I am a real animal lover. Most folks don't even know that their animals can play because they don't interact with them. Shoot now I am rambling on.

I just wish Thumbtack would go back to the old ways. I have had folks tell me to start my own website, but I have all these reviews on Thumbtack and would like them on my site. I have folks out of town contact me. My profile is true to me and who I am. I get a lot of compliments from owners and Thumbtack doesn't see how well we interact with our customers. I am just frustrated with the changes. Now, I can't even get a hold of anyone. Before the pandemic I could talk to someone now can't even get a hold of a live person.

• PastorDave_1
    Options

I'm can't believe their refund policy on wedding officiating is ZERO refunds if the couple decides not to marry or someone backs out of a life long commitment. I'm just above the line in the cost of leads vs. the money made on doing weddings this year. It doesn't seem fair.

PastorDave_1

• DeeDee
    Options

since I made a comment on this site. I have not received one lead. I think I am going to try a different avenue because this just is not working for me at all.