Do free trial lessons actually bring new customers to piano studios?

Options

Asking all music teachers, does offering free trial lessons actually help in getting new students?

Do free trial lessons actually bring new customers to piano studios? 4 votes

Yes it does.
50%
Danlupomusicnowren 2 votes
Probably not.
50%
Magemynycmusiclessons 2 votes

Comments

• nowren
    Options
    Yes it does.

For me, if I am able to get clients to agree to a free trial I am able to close the deal 90+% of the time.

• mynycmusiclessons
    Options
    Probably not.

Free trials can work to ease a new student's mind and get them in the door. But it has been my experience that those looking for free lessons are the ones who are going to quit when it gets challenging. They are typically not as committed. I may be wrong, but it's happened to me enough times that I don't do free trial lessons anymore. I do zoom or phone consultations instead.

• AllAroundMusic
    Options

We do not offer free trials for security reasons due to our platform and service being online.

• Mage
    Mage Posts: 115
    Options
    Probably not.

@mynycmusiclessons 💯% I have the same experience. I don't want to give my lessons for free. I would rather the prospective student have a consultation (often a paid lesson if they wish to see how one lesson works before they commit to being billed monthly) or they can attend one of the studio workshops/recitals or office hours (all virtual since I mainly teach online). I also agree with @AllAroundMusic that since the services are offered online, no point in "free trial." But I think it's cool that @nowren is able to close the deals with the free trials. I noticed in my experience that "free trial" students are not usually the one that fit with my studio, usually not as committed. But I am looking at other options such as having a teaching assistant teach the students that don't fit as well with my approach.

• PaulG
    PaulG Posts: 8
    Options

Hi Everyone!

When I first began teaching I did offer free trial lessons. But I had stopped about 5 years ago. If the student is going to show up for a free lesson, I noticed that they did not want to pay for materials either. When people do that they don't place any value on learning and are not in it for the long haul. and ususally quit So I said no more free trial music lessons. Plus, to me, it makes me appear to be desperate and unprofessional.

PaulG

• mynycmusiclessons
    Options
    Probably not.

@PaulG Totally agree!