Small Business Tips! (respond for a chance to be featured on our social media)

Meckell
Meckell Administrator Posts: 106

Hi Pro Community and happy Friday! My name is Meckell and I'm on the social media team here at Thumbtack. We love featuring pros on our social media and are looking for 4-5 pros to give us quotes for Small Business Saturday. If you're interested, please respond to this thread by answering the following questions:

• What do you love about being a small business?
  • What are ways people can support small businesses?
  • How has Thumbtack helped your small business?

Thank you!

Comments

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,610
    edited November 2022
  • DustiO

OK I am obsessed with this dog door @John_Mctighe! That is SO great!

• Adorable!

• Lemargriffinfilms
    Lemargriffinfilms Posts: 24
    edited November 2022

Self-confidence is a key aspect of running a small business. You have to be brave to run a small business, it’s not for everyone. Running my business gives me a boost of confidence, and drive to work hard. Another fact I like to embrace about running a small business is knowing that if you work hard and smart it will grow into a large business, that excites me! 

• What are ways people can support small businesses?

By not asking for discounted services from Small Business Owners. You don’t walk into any big brand stores and ask for half off or try to get them to lower their prices. Why would you ask that from a small business? 

• How has Thumbtack helped your small business?

Real leads on demand! I believe you get out of Thumbtack the effort and consistency you put into Thumbtack. I use Thumbtack as a part of my business, almost like a silent partner. The ROI on using Thumbtack is something that has made me thousands, and I’m thankful.

• Ejaco
    Ejaco Posts: 1
    • What do you love about being a small business? I love the one on one attention we are able to give each of our customers. Being a small business means we see them as people, family, friends and not just $$.
    • What are ways people can support small businesses? Share, share, share! If you’re not in the market for what we have to offer share our info, our Fb posts, our website because someone you know is probably looking for what we have to offer.
    • How has Thumbtack helped your small business? Thumbtack has really been instrumental in helping us grow our customer base. It has also given us tools to better organize and align our services and explain what we have to offer to our potential customers.

• Meckell
    Meckell Administrator Posts: 106

Thank you so much @John_Mctighe @Lemargriffinfilms and @Ejaco these quotes are great and we can't wait to feature these on our social channels! Can you all please share your email addresses (you can DM them to me) and share your social media handles? We just need to send you a media release so we can use these quotes on social media.

• Mage
    Mage Posts: 114
    • What do you love about being a small business? I get to create an amazing experience and connect directly with customers who have the passion for the services and results that I offer them. I am happy when making others happy.
    • What are ways people can support small businesses? Tell everyone know that we exist! Spread the word. This is especially true for those of us who might not know as many people in our local network (for example, I teach music online).
    • How has Thumbtack helped your small business? 2/3 of my clients came from Thumbtack. Thumbtack encouraged accountability and transparency when connecting leads to my business through their profile and chat service. It makes a difference for both the customer and the Pro to have a profile.

I am sorry that I was late to the party, and these are very short answers! 🙊

I especially love being a woman in the construction industry - I love being able to show off my expertise in the business & empower others by sharing helpful, relevant knowledge. I’ve been in the industry since ‘93 but our company is only 2 1/2 years old and Thumbtack gives me the opportunity to grow the business with their exceptional lead services. I have found that Thumbtack, when compared to other lead services we’ve used, outperforms them on every level. We have an over 90%-95% closing rate with Thumbtack customers and the value for the money is so much better. This is something truly priceless with a limited budget of a small business. We appreciate the effort you all put out to help ensure our successfulness by providing good, solid leads & opportunities to network to meet others & gain valuable insight..

• DustiO

@HarpersOKC I am sure @Meckell will be reaching out to you, but I would love to interview you to be featured in a Success Story on our website, too! If you are interested in doing that, let me know! I love hearing stories like this — especially from a woman in a male-dominated industry!

• Js_Garage_Door1
    Js_Garage_Door1 Posts: 28
    edited December 2022

What do you love about being a small business?

There's never a dull moment! You're constantly learning, growing, and overcoming obstacles. As soon as you overcome these obstacles you are quickly met with a set of whole new obstacles that you never seen coming! I remember when we set a gole to get a contract with a big property Management company. We ended up making lunch and presenting our company to their office and chatting with all the property managers and they really liked us and we're ready to start sending us work! Perfect goal achieved right? No it's not that easy we had to get a much bigger insurance policy, sign waivers, figure out payment structures, and who's going to be the primary contact for the customers and for us when it comes to scheduling or future calls....awww. We didn't see any of that coming when we initially set the goal of landing this contract but we figured it out. Now it's opened the door to a lot of business, not just from them but other business like them as well! Never a dull moment! It's great!

What are ways people can support small businesses?

Do your research before hiring a company, if you're the type of person that clicks on the first sponsored ad at the top of the page there's a very good chance that is a company that overcharges because they need to compensate for a high marketing budget. If you do hire a small business don't just let the work speak for itself you can "talk about it!"

How has Thumbtack helped your small business?

Can't begin to tell you how valuable thumbtack has been to our company. We have been with thumbtack for a very long time (back when you used to purchase credits lol) it was the only platform that allowed a small local startup business to get noticed. We didn't have to compete with huge marketing campaigns. Customers were able to look up our profile and read a plethora of reviews, instantly get a response, we could tell the customer about us as individuals and as a company. I have really enjoyed growing with thumbtack over the years and the positive changes that they make (making customers give there phone number was a mega game changer). I highly recommend thumbtack to anyone who has to drive because it does work!

• DustiO

@Js_Garage_Door1 I love these answers SO much! @Meckell is out this week, but I am sure she will be reaching out to you! Thank you for sharing!