Denied refund for a lead which was out of my service scope.

I received a “lead” from Thumbtack, and when I contacted the client to discuss the job details, she informed me that she had MISTAKENLY messaged me about sheetrock job and that she didn’t review my profile to see that I specialized on furniture assembly services.

I requested a refund from Thumbtack, but my request was denied. I believe this situation is unfair, as I was not provided with a legitimate lead and was charged for a service that I don't provide.

I contacted customer support by text message to resolve the issue. After reviewing my case, the customer support representative initially stated that I had marked the "other" checkbox, which could involve sheetrock jobs. I explained that Sheetrock is a brand of drywall and provided screenshots showing that the dedicated checkboxes for drywall jobs (those are the drywall installation and Hanging, and drywall repair and texturing) which were disabled on my profile. So it cannot considered as a part of "other" jobs.

The customer support representative then changed their statement and claimed that the job was for a ceiling. However, I also provided a screenshot showing that the checkbox for ceilings was disabled on my profile.

Despite my efforts to provide evidence and resolve the issue, the customer support representative left the conversation unfinished.

I am disappointed with Thumbtack's handling of this situation and believe that I should not be charged for a lead that was not legitimate.

Suggestions ?

Comments

• DustiO
    DustiO Administrator, Moderator Posts: 1,746

@Vardan can you provide me with the customer's first name so I can look into this?

• DustiO

@Vardan never mind I think I found it - I am checking on it and will let you know if I have any updates. Thanks!

• Vardan
    Vardan Posts: 4

Hi @DustiO .

Thank you for your response.

Just an hour ago I contacted to the customer service again, and this time the issue has been solved. I received refund.

• DustiO

Ok awesome, thank you!

• Vardan
    edited July 25

@DustiO as a retrospective lessons learned, I turned off the checkmark Others in Handyman, which I think is not a good solution and it will take away many potential customers, but it is only way I will be ensured to not charge by customers wrong mark.

My suggestion to Thumbtack, is to remove the other job checkbox, splitting it as much as possible narrow services, because it is too wide, and usually clients will check it just to find someone easy.

• DustiO

Great solution! Hopefully it doesn't take away any clients, let me know how it goes!

• Vardan
    edited July 25

I don't think thats a Great solution. But it is what it is.